Friday 17 July 2009

Holiday!!!










To get myself into the holiday mood, I read Jane Green's, The Beach House, set in the beautiful US island of Nantucket. The story follows three love stories (one gay, oh how modern!) and an older bohemian-esque lady who owns the house. The three love stories entwine. A bit conveniently, I thought, but it's a nice enough read if you are looking for a nice enough read. Not that many people are. The drama is short lived.



I absolutely loved one of Jane's earliest novels, Jemima J, a hillarious tale of an overweight girl who photoshops a picture of herself to send to a hottie she's met on the internet. All goes well until he suggests she visits him in California. She sheds weight to become that girl, the answer to all her problems, or so she thinks. The ending is shocking, and I'm not one to blanche at drama easily! Beach House and Jemima J are poles apart. I know it's inevitable that ones writing style changes over the years, it's just a shame because I love the raw, breezy and comical style that propelled her to the top of chick lit.


Assuming this flu shifts in the next 24 hours, I'll be holidaying in Cornwall. on my reading list: -


  • the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Anne Schaffer

  • Stephanie Meyer's Twilight saga books - I do chick lit, I do pop fantasy, but never ever do I combine the two as vampire chick lit is wrong.



So I'll be away for the week - enjoy yourselves!




3 comments:

  1. I love Jemima J - have read it *so* many times. I have read pretty much all of her work I think apart from this and have enjoyed it all - one I cold never get into, and God knows I've tried, was Spellbound I think it is.

    Enjoy Twilight - I loved it!

    Have a great holiday chick!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Jane Green. The Other Woman was my favorite, I think. I haven't read Beach House yet.

    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a wonderful book!

    Have a great holiday! Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete